TOPIC: Are You Paying Attention?
Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song (Psalm 95:2 NIV).
Friend to Friend
It’s not every day you come close to death, especially when you’re young.
It was a beautiful spring day in Akron, Ohio. I’d just gotten off work and was excited to meet with a manager of the restaurant where the rehearsal dinner for my wedding would be held. One of my bridesmaids was going with me and we were eager to sample the food and select the final menu.
Michele and I met up in the parking lot of my workplace then she followed behind my car in hers as we headed to dinner. The restaurant was in an area called “the valley,” and there was a long, steep hill leading down to it. At the bottom of the hill red and white striped rails occasionally lowered to the sound of ringing while flashing red lights warned drivers of an oncoming train.
The music blared in my car and excitement raced in my heart as I put the stick shift of my manual transmission in neutral to coast down the long, steep street-slide into the valley. Michele was on my bumper, cruising right behind me.
Caught up in the moment of fun, I was blinded by the setting sun, coasting too fast and not paying attention to the flashing lights and rails that had lowered as I was flying down the hill. A loud train whistle blew as I neared the bottom, jarring me from the haze.
I was too close.
Going too fast. With a car on my tail.
There’s no way I had time to stop.
I hit my brakes hard and braced myself for impact from either the train or Michele.
Somehow my car stopped on a dime… and Michele’s did too.
We got out of our cars knowing without a doubt that angels were among us. There was no way we both could’ve stopped that quickly and avoided both the train and a collision between us.
The whistle was the warning. It saved my life by alerting me to the danger of the train. Because of the whistle warning, and divine intervention, I was saved.
Psalm 95 is both a call to wild worship and a wearisome warning. It’s a tale of two hearts. God is both the worship-worthy, majestic Maker of the Sea, full of mystery and might…and He’s the holy, righteous Father who gets frustrated and hands out consequences when His children harden their hearts, quarrel, test and try Him.
“Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord;
let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before him with thanksgiving
and extol him with music and song.
For the Lord is the great God,
the great King above all gods.
In his hand are the depths of the earth,
and the mountain peaks belong to him.
The sea is his, for he made it,
and his hands formed the dry land.
Come, let us bow down in worship,
let us kneel before the Lord our Maker;
for he is our God
and we are the people of his pasture,
the flock under his care.” (Psalm 95:1-7a NIV)Advertisements
The shift from worship to warning happens in the second half of verse 7. “Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts…” (Psalm 95:7-8 NIV) A great lesson can be learned here if we’re open to receive it. Jesus often said the similar phrases, “He who has eyes to see, let him see, and He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”
Warnings like this can keep us significantly safer than flashing lights and wailing train whistles. I want to be a woman who has eyes to see and ears to hear. Not a woman with a hardened, stubborn heart. I want to be so convinced of God’s love for me that I trust Him, turn to Him and yield to every Holy Spirit woo and warning.
Let’s heed this warning and pray for softened hearts.
Let’s ask the Lord to guide our ways and keep us from danger: body, soul and mind.
And let’s choose today to worship wild the Rock of our salvation (v1), our great God, the King above all gods (v3). Let’s sing for joy, shout aloud (v1), bow down in worship and kneel before our Maker (v6).
Dear Lord, Thank You for the ways Your Word warns and woos. Help me to be teachable and thankful, and to live in whole-hearted response to Your greatness today and every day.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Now It’s Your Turn
Is there an area in your heart or life that you sense the Holy Spirit warning you about?
If yes, what can you do about it?
Thanks for reading Girlfriends in God 13 October 2021 Devotional. Feel free to share this Daily Devotional to your loved ones.
- God’s Strength In You – Joyce Meyer Daily Devotional For 17th October 2021 October 17, 2021
- Catholic Daily Reading For Sunday 17th October 2021 Online October 17, 2021
- Be Bold About Him – Rhapsody of Realities Devotional For 17th October 2021 By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome October 17, 2021
- Your Gates Are Open – Streams of Joy Daily Devotional For 17th October 2021 By Pastor Jerry Eze October 17, 2021
- Deeper Life Search the Scripture For 17th October 2021 Lesson 1021 (Adult) October 17, 2021
- RCCG Sunday School TEACHERS Manual For 17th October 2021 October 17, 2021
- RCCG Sunday School STUDENTS Manual For 17th October 2021 – Lesson 7 October 17, 2021
- Today’s Open Heaven Devotional For 17th October 2021 – The Unchangeable Changer October 17, 2021
- Wealth Through Wisdom – Seeds of Destiny Daily Devotional 17 October 2021 – October 17, 2021
- Abuja Fans Surprise BBNaija’s Cross As They Welcome Him With Over 200 Power Bikes And Cars October 16, 2021
- FG Declares Public Holiday For Eid-ul-Mawlid Celebration October 16, 2021
- English Premier League Fixtures, Predictions, Results For 16 – 18 October 2021 October 16, 2021
- #EndSARS Anniversary: They Killed Innocent Souls And A Year Later, No One Has Been Punished For Those Heinous Crimes – Falz October 16, 2021
- Revealed! What Pastor Tunde Bakare Discussed With President Buhari During His Visit To Aso Villa October 16, 2021
- Kogi State Government Kicks, Demands Apology From EFCC Over frozen N20B October 16, 2021
- Bayelsa Youths Protests In Warrior Regalia As Oil Firm Allegedly Neglects Their Community (Photos) October 15, 2021
- Jubilation As Pasuma Welcomes First Grandchild (Photo) October 15, 2021
- Chiwetalu Agu Arrives AGN Office In Enugu After His Release Like A Hero (Video) October 15, 2021
- Pastor Tunde Bakare Visits Buhari In Aso Villa (Photos) October 15, 2021
- BBNaija S6: What Made Me Connect Easily With Whitemoney – Emmanuel Reveals October 15, 2021
Entertainment7 days ago
BBNaija S6: Ebuka Opens Up On Housemate Who Could Have Won BBNaija ‘Shine Ya Eye’ Edition
National news4 days ago
PHOTOS: HardCore Biafrans Defy Security Agents After Chiwetalu Agu’s Arrest, Wear IPOB Emblemed Materials
Entertainment7 days ago
BBNaija Angel Opens Up On The Male Housemate She Would Gladly Leave Her Boyfriend For
Faith6 days ago
Catholic Daily Mass Reading For 11th October 2021 Online
National news7 days ago
Why NUPENG Plans To Commence Strike Tomorow (Monday)
Entertainment4 days ago
How US Blogger, Gabby Petito Was Strangled To Death – Coroner Reports
Faith4 days ago
Lift Up Your Eyes – Streams of Joy Devotional For Wednesday 13th October 2021 By Pastor Jerry Eze
Faith6 days ago
The Problem Of Boredom – Billy Graham Daily Devotional For Monday 11th October 2021