You are welcome to today’s devotional by Our Daily Bread…….
Today’s Scripture: Mark 9:33–37
Key Verse: Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all. – Mark 9:35
INSIGHT: Context is always a key element when considering any passage of Scripture, and today’s text resides in a sadly tragic context. In Mark 9:30–32, Jesus made His second of three announcements (Mark 8:31; 9:31; 10:33) that His ultimate mission was to go to the cross and suffer the horrors and humiliations of crucifixion. In Mark 8:32, Peter responded to Jesus’ first announcement of the cross with indignation—convinced that Jesus should never have to suffer such anguish. In Mark 9, the disciples as a group follow Christ’s announcement with an argument about which of them would be the greatest—apparently an ongoing subject of their conversations. Clearly, they’d failed to understand the sobering reality of Jesus’ coming sacrifice on their behalf and could only contemplate the benefits they might receive in the coming kingdom. Their discussion is a reminder of how short-sighted we can be and how unaware of God’s bigger purposes.
Our Daily Bread Today 5 August 2021 Devotional Message
Cuthbert is a much-loved figure in northern England. Responsible for evangelizing much of the area in the seventh century, Cuthbert counseled monarchs and influenced state affairs; and after his death, the city of Durham was built in his honor. But Cuthbert’s legacy is great in more ways than these.
After a plague ravaged the region, Cuthbert once toured affected towns offering solace. Readying to leave one village, he checked if there was anyone left to pray for. There was—a woman, clutching a child. She had already lost one son, and the child she held was nearing death too. Cuthbert took the fevered boy in his arms, prayed for him, and kissed his forehead. “Do not fear,” he told her, “for no one else of your household will die.” The boy reportedly lived.
Jesus once took a small boy into his arms to give a lesson on greatness, saying, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me” (Mark 9:37). To “welcome” someone in Jewish culture meant to serve them, the way a host welcomes a guest. Since children were to serve adults and not be served, the idea must’ve been shocking. Jesus’ point? True greatness resides in serving the smallest and lowliest (v. 35).
A counselor to monarchs. An influencer of history. A city built in his honor. But perhaps heaven records Cuthbert’s legacy more like this: A mother noticed. A forehead kissed. A humble life reflecting his Master.
Reflect & Pray
When you think of a “great” person in history, what image comes to mind? How can you pursue Jesus’ kind of greatness today?
Dear God, help me to humbly serve others.
Our Daily Bread Today 5 August 2021 Devotional Message. Our Daily Bread Ministries (ODB) is a Christian organization founded by Dr. Martin De Haan in 1938. It is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with over 600 employees. It produces several devotional publications, including Our Daily Bread.
- That Battle Has Been Declared “Finished” Hold On! – ODM Devotional For 17th September 2021 By Bishop Dr. Chris Kwakpovwe September 17, 2021
- Honor God’s Voice Above All Others – Joyce Meyer Devotional For 17th September 2021 September 17, 2021
- The Kingdom Lifestyle – MFM Daily Devotional For 17th September 2021 By Dr. D.K Olukoya September 17, 2021
- Catholic Daily Mass Reading For Friday 17th September 2021 Online September 17, 2021
- Faith Talks -Rhapsody of Realities Devotional For Friday 17th September 2021 By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome September 17, 2021
- You Are Evergreen – Pastor Jerry Eze Streams of Joy Daily Devotional For Friday 17th September 2021 September 17, 2021
- The Trigger of Wisdom – Seeds of Destiny 17th September 2021 By Dr. Paul Enenche September 17, 2021
- RCCG Open Heaven Devotional For 17th September 2021 By Pastor E.A Adeboye – Holy Spirit: The Engine Room For Missions September 17, 2021
- Prayer Points For Today’s Open Heaven 17th September 2021 – Holy Spirit: The Engine Room For Missions September 17, 2021
- MFM 70 Days Fasting For 17th September 2021 – Day 40 Prayer Points September 17, 2021
- THROWBACK: “I Would Rather Die Than Join APC Or Bow To Buhari – Fani-Kayode September 16, 2021
- BBNaija Task: Biggie Rewards Liquorose For Secret Task September 16, 2021
- Why EFCC Chairman, Bawa, Collapsed – Pantami Reveals September 16, 2021
- Sowore Reveals Those Who Killed His Brother, Olajide September 16, 2021
- BREAKING: Femi Fani- Kayode Dumps PDP, Joins APC Says, “I Was Led By The Spirit Of God” September 16, 2021
- VAT/FIRS: Southern Governors Meet In Enugu September 16, 2021
- BBNaija S6: Why I’m Excited About Liquorose, Emmanuel ‘Fight’ – Angel September 16, 2021
- Photos: FIFA President Pays Courtesy Visit To President Buhari, Gifts Him No.10 Jersey September 16, 2021
- 2023 Presidency: Why Jonathan Will Never Join APC – Reno Omokri Reacts September 16, 2021
- BBNaija Task: Housemates To Mimic Each Other For A Whole Day September 16, 2021
National news7 days ago
Leadership Tussle: TB Joshua’s Disciples Evicted From SCOAN [VIDEO]
Faith4 days ago
Fearfully And Wonderfully Made – RCCG Open Heaven Devotional For 13th September 2021 By Pastor E.A Adeboye
Entertainment7 days ago
BET Awards: Ladipoe And Nasty C Make 2021 Hip-Hop List
Entertainment4 days ago
BBNaija Eviction: I’ll Beg Big Brother To Bring JayPaul Back To The House – Cross To Saskay
Faith4 days ago
You Are A Weapon – Streams of Joy Daily Devotional For 13th September 2021 by Pastor Jerry Eze
Metro4 days ago
Kogi Jailbreak: 240 Inmates Escaped From Prison – Spokesman
Faith4 days ago
Life’s Greatest Investment – In Touch Daily Devotional For 13th September 2021 By Dr. Charles Stanley
Entertainment4 days ago
BBNaija Eviction: How Nigerians Voted Jaypaul, Jackie B, Saga