It was serious confusion that took place recently at the matriculation ceremony of the Taraba State Polytechnic after students engaged in a free-for-all, injuring one another in what appeared to be an ethnic clash.
According to Leadership, the 28-year-old institution held its matriculation a week ago at the institution’s premises located in Jalingo.
The ceremony, however, turned bloody amid clashes between Jukun and Kuteb students of the institution during the matriculation’s cultural display.
Basically, the Jukun (Njikum) are traditionally located in Taraba, Benue, Nasarawa, Plateau, Adamawa, and Gombe States in Nigeria and parts of northwestern Cameroon.
On the other hand, the Kuteb (or Kutep) people are an ethno-linguistic group in West Africa, who speaks Kuteb, a Jukunoid language. Most of the Kuteb live in Taraba State, Nigeria.
While many of the students and dignitaries had arrived and the ceremony began, the cultural troupes who were predominantly students had designated canopies where they and their entourage were housed.
At the occasion were the state Commissioner for Tertiary Institutions, Edwards Baraya, a former Nigerian Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago, John Musa, and the rector of the Polytechnic, Ayuba Ibrahim.
Instead of a cultural display, the event turned bloody.
“Sadly, it ended with a free for all,” said a student Mustapha Salisu.
“The Jukun cultural group who had a long procession from the uncompleted overhead bridge from the Jalingo town into the school were also set and prepared to be ushered into the dancing arena by the master of the ceremony as well as the Kuteb cultural group before the chaos started.”
A student of the institution Amina Abdullahi (not real name) said the Jukun student who was holding a big stick as part of their culture display used it to attack the Kuteb student.
She said, “We were prepared and waiting for the MC to call us for our display to entertain the guests, however, two students, one who was from the Kuteb and another from Jukum side engaged in a serious argument. In the blink of an eye, the Jukum student who was holding a big stick as a sign of culture descended on the Kuteb student.
“The Kuteb student scampered for safety and ran into the arena where the dignitaries were seated yet he was not saved. However, in the presence of both security and the dignitaries, the Jukum student hit the Kuteb student with the stick, and blood started gushing out from his head.
“He hit him continuously, and the Kuteb student fell, the school security quickly rushed and arrested the Jukun student at the spot.
“The chairman of the matriculation Mr Bambuu stood up and declared the matriculation ceremony close.”
The rector said in an interview that the school had suspended all cultural activities following the clash between the Jukum and Kuteb cultural groups.
Ibrahim lamented that the clash led to the disruption of the matriculation on Saturday, July 31.
Checks revealed that although the student who attacked and injured the Kuteb student was arrested at the spot, he was released while the injured student was admitted at the Federal Medical Centre, Jalingo.
- God’s Strength In You – Joyce Meyer Daily Devotional For 17th October 2021 October 17, 2021
- Catholic Daily Reading For Sunday 17th October 2021 Online October 17, 2021
- Be Bold About Him – Rhapsody of Realities Devotional For 17th October 2021 By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome October 17, 2021
- Your Gates Are Open – Streams of Joy Daily Devotional For 17th October 2021 By Pastor Jerry Eze October 17, 2021
- Deeper Life Search the Scripture For 17th October 2021 Lesson 1021 (Adult) October 17, 2021
- RCCG Sunday School TEACHERS Manual For 17th October 2021 October 17, 2021
- RCCG Sunday School STUDENTS Manual For 17th October 2021 – Lesson 7 October 17, 2021
- Today’s Open Heaven Devotional For 17th October 2021 – The Unchangeable Changer October 17, 2021
- Wealth Through Wisdom – Seeds of Destiny Daily Devotional 17 October 2021 – October 17, 2021
- Abuja Fans Surprise BBNaija’s Cross As They Welcome Him With Over 200 Power Bikes And Cars October 16, 2021
- FG Declares Public Holiday For Eid-ul-Mawlid Celebration October 16, 2021
- English Premier League Fixtures, Predictions, Results For 16 – 18 October 2021 October 16, 2021
- #EndSARS Anniversary: They Killed Innocent Souls And A Year Later, No One Has Been Punished For Those Heinous Crimes – Falz October 16, 2021
- Revealed! What Pastor Tunde Bakare Discussed With President Buhari During His Visit To Aso Villa October 16, 2021
- Kogi State Government Kicks, Demands Apology From EFCC Over frozen N20B October 16, 2021
- Bayelsa Youths Protests In Warrior Regalia As Oil Firm Allegedly Neglects Their Community (Photos) October 15, 2021
- Jubilation As Pasuma Welcomes First Grandchild (Photo) October 15, 2021
- Chiwetalu Agu Arrives AGN Office In Enugu After His Release Like A Hero (Video) October 15, 2021
- Pastor Tunde Bakare Visits Buhari In Aso Villa (Photos) October 15, 2021
- BBNaija S6: What Made Me Connect Easily With Whitemoney – Emmanuel Reveals October 15, 2021
Entertainment7 days ago
BBNaija S6: Ebuka Opens Up On Housemate Who Could Have Won BBNaija ‘Shine Ya Eye’ Edition
National news4 days ago
PHOTOS: HardCore Biafrans Defy Security Agents After Chiwetalu Agu’s Arrest, Wear IPOB Emblemed Materials
Entertainment7 days ago
BBNaija Angel Opens Up On The Male Housemate She Would Gladly Leave Her Boyfriend For
Faith6 days ago
Catholic Daily Mass Reading For 11th October 2021 Online
Faith4 days ago
Lift Up Your Eyes – Streams of Joy Devotional For Wednesday 13th October 2021 By Pastor Jerry Eze
National news7 days ago
Why NUPENG Plans To Commence Strike Tomorow (Monday)
Entertainment4 days ago
How US Blogger, Gabby Petito Was Strangled To Death – Coroner Reports
Faith6 days ago
The Problem Of Boredom – Billy Graham Daily Devotional For Monday 11th October 2021