A total of 17 manufacturers of electricity meters are demanding an increase in the cost of the commodity following the rise in inflation and foreign exchange rates, among other economic variables.
The meter producers under the aegis of Meter Asset Providers resolved at the end of a meeting that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission should carry out an upward review of the current price of prepaid meters across the country.
In a communique issued after the meeting and made available to our correspondent in Abuja on Monday, the MAPs listed the upward review in meter price as the first resolution reached by the 17 manufacturers.
They said, “There should be an upward review of the current price of prepaid meter by NERC in view of rising inflation, continued upward movement of foreign exchange rates, associated increases in customs costs, increase in container freight costs, and the disruptions in the international supply chain.
“These factors lead to a global increase in the prices of raw materials and components for the manufacture of prepaid meters.”
The MAPs, however, noted that there would be corresponding downward review of meter prices when there was a downward movement in foreign exchange rates and other cost factors.
Speaking on the side-lines of the meeting, the Executive Vice Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, Holley Metering Ltd and Celdon Group, Ifeanyi Okeke, commended the Central Bank of Nigeria for funding the National Mass Metering Programme.
He said producers of meters were optimistic that the NMMP would effectively support in closing the metering gap in Nigeria and bring an end to estimated billing.
Nigeria’s power sector is suffering from a huge metering gap and closing this gap is expected to improve revenue collection, transparency, payment discipline, as well as improve customer satisfaction in the industry.
On foreign exchange availability, the meter producers requested that the CBN should guarantee access to forex to local meter manufacturers and assemblers for the procurement of parts and accessories, including equipment for meter manufacturing/production as well as expansion of factory infrastructure.
They called on the Nigerian Customs Service to create dedicated desks/teams at the various ports to fast track the clearing of prepaid meters and components from the ports to improve on delivery timelines.
They also highlighted the need for a change in the modalities for the implementation of the presidential waiver of the 35 per cent levy on fully built prepaid meters and that the timeframe for the waiver should be extended to December 2022.
Meter producers at the meeting included MEMMCOL (Momas), MOJEC International Ltd, Protogy Global Services Ltd, UNISTAR Hi-Tech Ltd, Integrated Resources Ltd, Conlog Metering Nigeria Ltd, New Hampshire Capital Ltd, Holley Metering Ltd, and Tinuten Nigeria Ltd.
Others include Gospell Digital Technology Ltd, Integrated Power Ltd, Cresthill Engineering Ltd, Bendoriks International, CWG Plc, Electrometer NG, Meron Nigeria Ltd, and ARMESE Consulting Ltd.
- Abuja: Business Owners Cries Out Bitterly As FCTA Demands Payment For Using Generators August 5, 2021
- Nigerians React Seriously As Buhari’s Daughter-in-law Wears Transparent Dress In Extravagant Bridal Shower August 5, 2021
- The Believer’s Highest Honor – In Touch Daily Devotional For 5th August 2021 By Dr. Charles Stanley August 5, 2021
- This Church That Was Given Quit Notice – Our Daily Manna ODM Devotional For 5th August 2021 By Bishop Dr. Chris Kwakpovwe August 5, 2021
- Greatness – Our Daily Bread Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 August 5, 2021
- Joseph Prince Devotional For 5th August 2021 – The Great Disarmament August 5, 2021
- DCLM Daily Manna For 5th August 2021 Deeper Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi – Don’t Wreck Your Ministry! August 5, 2021
- MFM Daily Devotional For 5th August 2021 Mountain By Dr. D.K Olukoya – The Peril Of A Wrong Location August 5, 2021
- TREM Daily Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 By Bishop Mike Okonkwo – Rejoice In The Lord August 5, 2021
- God is Right on Time – Omega Fire Devotional For 5th August 2021 Rhema for Living Daily Devotional Message August 5, 2021
- Prayer Points For Today’s Open Heaven 5th August 2021 – Be Thou Perfect August 5, 2021
- RCCG Open Heaven Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 By Pastor E A Adeboye – Be Thou Perfect August 5, 2021
- Seeds of Destiny Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 By Dr. Paul Enenche -The Curse: Consequence of Evil Doing August 5, 2021
- Unprecedented Portions – Streams of Joy Daily Devotional For 5th August 2021 By Pastor Jerry Eze August 5, 2021
- Rhapsody of Realities Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome – Align Yourself With God’s Vision August 5, 2021
- Watch and Pray – Kenneth Copeland Devotional For 5th August 2021 From Faith To Faith Daily Devotional August 5, 2021
- Catholic Daily Mass Reading For Thursday 5th August 2021 August 5, 2021
- Stop Breastfeeding Your Husbands, Breast Milk Is For Babies – Commissioner For Gender Affairs Advice Women August 4, 2021
- Evans: ‘I’m Not A Kidnapper, I’m A Legitimate Businessman’ August 4, 2021
- I’m Homeless, Living Out In My Car, Dr. Dre’s Eldest Daughter Reveals (photos) August 4, 2021
Entertainment7 days ago
Hushpuppi: How I Bribed Police Chief, Abba Kyari With $1.1million Deal
Metro6 days ago
Tension In Delta As Farmers Flee, Others Missing As Herdsmen Invade Farms
National news6 days ago
Hushpuppi: IGP Orders Investigation Of FBI’s Fraud Allegations Against Kyari
Metro6 days ago
Ogun: Man Faking Madness Caught With N250,000, Three iPhones, Women Underwear
Faith6 days ago
Joseph Prince Devotional For 30th July 2021 – Abba Father
National news7 days ago
COVID-19: US To Ship 10 Million Doses Of Vaccines To Nigeria, South Africa
News7 days ago
Hushpuppi: US Court Orders FBI To Arrest Abba Kyari Over Fraud Investigations
National news6 days ago
You Can’t Succeed Above Your Educational Qualification –Buhari (Video)