The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has announced that the cost of a litre of petrol has hit N256 and it is absorbing between N140-N150 billion in monthly subsidy to sell to consumers at N162.
But the octopus corporation blamed fuel smugglers for worsening the situation, as daily consumption jumped to to 103 million litres per day in May, as against the usual 50-60 million litres.
The Group Managing Director (GMD), NNPC, Mele Kyari, made this known on Tuesday at stakeholders meeting organised by the corporation to discuss how best to stop smuggling in the country.
Kyari said the current situation had kept the country in a state of bleeding, as it could not sustain the payment of subsidy that accompanies the volume.
He said that the introduction of Operation White and involvement of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had helped the situation.
“From the truck out report from the PPPRA data base , we have seen collapse of load out average move from 70 million litres to 60 million litres just in one month, that means we can do with less than 70 million. The balance, I don’t know where it goes to but we know for sure that it is not consumed in this country .
“In very recent data, we see what we really want in the beginning of May and June, there was a day we load out about 103 million litres of PMS within one day across the depots.
“We know it is not required, we know it is inappropriate and we also know that something wrong is happening that somebody is chasing something.
“But we in NNPC, we are not in control of that, we are not in every depot, we don’t keep products in all the depot but when the volume goes down, it comes down to us, when there is tight in supply, it comes back to the NNPC and we solve the problem,’’ he said
He said that President Muhammadu Buhari had directed that smuggling must stop adding that it was the reason for inviting all stakeholders to chart the way forward.
He said that the corporation had incorporated the EFCC, the Department of Security Services (DSS), the Nigeria Customs services (NCS), the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), on a platform to achieve this.
“Mr President has directed us that we must stop smuggling or round tripping if there is anything like that, and so we must stop it by every means necessary, and we must do anything to stop it, that means we have to work outside the box.
“We know that there are layers of controls that have been there that is not working and that is why we must work outside the box.
“That is why we are happy to drag in the EFCC, DSS, NSCDC, and even the NCS on a different platforms that will enable us to control this volume and we have seen it work,’’ he added
Commenting on the current PMS and subsidy payment, Kyari explained that with the current exchange rate, the pump price of petrol should be N256 per litre.
“If we are to sell at the market today at current exchange rate, we will be selling the product at about N256 to a litre. What we sell today is N162, so the difference is at a cost to the nation,’’ he said.
- 61st Birthday: What President Buhari Told Chairman Of BUA Group, Abdul Samad Rabiu As He Felicitates With Him August 5, 2021
- BBNaija: Students, Colleagues Campaign To Keep Their Mathematics Teacher, Yousef In The House August 5, 2021
- $1.484bn: FEC Approves Rehabilitation Of Kaduna And Warri Refineries August 5, 2021
- Twitter Ban: See How Much Nigerians Have Lost In Two Months August 5, 2021
- Abuja: Business Owners Cries Out Bitterly As FCTA Demands Payment For Using Generators August 5, 2021
- Nigerians React Seriously As Buhari’s Daughter-in-law Wears Transparent Dress In Extravagant Bridal Shower August 5, 2021
- The Believer’s Highest Honor – In Touch Daily Devotional For 5th August 2021 By Dr. Charles Stanley August 5, 2021
- This Church That Was Given Quit Notice – Our Daily Manna ODM Devotional For 5th August 2021 By Bishop Dr. Chris Kwakpovwe August 5, 2021
- Greatness – Our Daily Bread Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 August 5, 2021
- Joseph Prince Devotional For 5th August 2021 – The Great Disarmament August 5, 2021
- DCLM Daily Manna For 5th August 2021 Deeper Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi – Don’t Wreck Your Ministry! August 5, 2021
- MFM Daily Devotional For 5th August 2021 Mountain By Dr. D.K Olukoya – The Peril Of A Wrong Location August 5, 2021
- TREM Daily Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 By Bishop Mike Okonkwo – Rejoice In The Lord August 5, 2021
- God is Right on Time – Omega Fire Devotional For 5th August 2021 Rhema for Living Daily Devotional Message August 5, 2021
- Prayer Points For Today’s Open Heaven 5th August 2021 – Be Thou Perfect August 5, 2021
- RCCG Open Heaven Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 By Pastor E A Adeboye – Be Thou Perfect August 5, 2021
- Seeds of Destiny Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 By Dr. Paul Enenche -The Curse: Consequence of Evil Doing August 5, 2021
- Unprecedented Portions – Streams of Joy Daily Devotional For 5th August 2021 By Pastor Jerry Eze August 5, 2021
- Rhapsody of Realities Devotional Message For 5th August 2021 By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome – Align Yourself With God’s Vision August 5, 2021
- Watch and Pray – Kenneth Copeland Devotional For 5th August 2021 From Faith To Faith Daily Devotional August 5, 2021
Entertainment7 days ago
Hushpuppi: How I Bribed Police Chief, Abba Kyari With $1.1million Deal
Metro6 days ago
Tension In Delta As Farmers Flee, Others Missing As Herdsmen Invade Farms
National news6 days ago
Hushpuppi: IGP Orders Investigation Of FBI’s Fraud Allegations Against Kyari
Faith6 days ago
Joseph Prince Devotional For 30th July 2021 – Abba Father
National news7 days ago
COVID-19: US To Ship 10 Million Doses Of Vaccines To Nigeria, South Africa
Metro6 days ago
Ogun: Man Faking Madness Caught With N250,000, Three iPhones, Women Underwear
News7 days ago
Hushpuppi: US Court Orders FBI To Arrest Abba Kyari Over Fraud Investigations
National news6 days ago
You Can’t Succeed Above Your Educational Qualification –Buhari (Video)