The Federal Government on Saturday disclosed that a total of 76,855 candidates enrolled for the 2021 Common Entrance Examinations into unity schools across the country.
Only 3,000 admission spaces are available.
The government also disclosed its intention to expand the carrying capacity of the schools to 30,000 students from the current 26,000 students.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Sunday Echono; and the Acting Registrar, National Examinations Council, John Ogborodi, disclosed these while monitoring the 2021 Common Entrance Examinations conducted by NECO in some schools in Abuja on Saturday.
“Last year, the government increased carrying capacity to 26,000 by creating more unity schools to accommodate students who wished to attend new schools and there are plans to establish new ones to bring the carrying capacity to 30,000,” Echono said.
He added that the government is concerned about persistent attacks on schools and abduction of students and has taken steps to beef up security around the colleges.
He said, “We know that there are security challenges across the federation but we are working assiduously to address them.
“Government has been kind to the sector and the National Assembly has continued to appropriate funds for us to provide security infrastructure in our schools.
“So, the federal schools are actually more secured than most others. On the strength of that, we want parents to allow their children to enrol for the schools; let them know this country and meet other people.”
Ogborodi, on his part, disclosed that 76,855 candidates enrolled for the examinations in the 417 centres nationwide.
“This year we had a total number of 76,855 candidates enrolled for the examinations and the schools at the moment will only take in 3,000 candidates due to limited spaces,” he said.
Statistics provided by the board which gave details on candidates that sat for the examination revealed that Lagos had the highest number of candidates with 21,423 candidates followed by FCT, 8674 candidates, Anambra 5,738 and Zamfara has 4,865 while Taraba has the least registered number of candidates with 113.
The data released also showed that the number of girls that registered for the examination was 39,555 while a total of 37,300 male candidates registered for the examination.
- Tears And Tributes As Lagos Council Boss Is Laid To Rest June 23, 2021
- Nigerians Reacts As Petrol Cost Hits N256, Subsidy N150b June 23, 2021
- Herdsmen: ‘Shun Northern Cattle For Local Cows’ -Nollywood Legend, Pete Edochie Urges Igbo People June 23, 2021
- N7.1bn Fraud: Court Fixes Date For Orji Uzor Kalu’s Retrial June 23, 2021
- ‘I Am In Pains’ – Harrysong Cries Out After Finding Out A ‘Single Mum Of 2’ He Was Sending Money To Is Actually A Very Ugly Man June 23, 2021
- US Actress, Angelina Jolie Visits Burkina Faso Refugee Camp June 23, 2021
- Akwa Ibom Sets Up Committee To Investigate Expulsion Of Student Who Allegedly Insulted Governor On Facebook June 23, 2021
- Exposed! Police Inspector In Soup For Allegedly Gunrunning And Renting Riffles To Notorious Criminals In Cross River State June 23, 2021
- Insecurity: How University Of Jos Hired Local Hunters To Protect Campus And Hostels June 23, 2021
- “A Goat Is Better Than A Man Who Beats His Wife” – Apostle Suleman Blows Hot June 23, 2021
- “Your Well Don Too Deep” – Bobrisky Berates Ka3na After She Opened Up About Her S3xual Encounter With Praise June 23, 2021
- #BBNaijaReunion: See How Praise Reacted After Ka3na Accused Him Of ‘Lasting Five Seconds In Bed’ June 23, 2021
- #BBNaijaReunion: “He Lasted Only 5 seconds” – Ka3na Opens Up On Sexual Encounter With Praise (Video) June 23, 2021
- Drama As Police Protects Coca-Cola Truck After It Crushes 3 To Death In Ibadan June 23, 2021
- Umahi’s Commissioner Dies, Driver Unconscious, Governor Declares Holiday, Prayer June 23, 2021
- TREM Daily Devotional For 23rd June 2021 By Dr. Mike Okonkwo – You Have Been Discharged and Acquitted With No Appeal June 23, 2021
- Catholic Daily Mass Reading For 23rd June 2021 Online June 23, 2021
- True Worship Of God – Anglican Daily Fountain For 23rd June 2021 June 23, 2021
- Scripture Union Daily Guide For 23rd June 2021 – God’s Judgement Dramatized June 23, 2021
- Joseph Prince Devotional For 23rd June 2021 – You Are Accepted In The Beloved June 23, 2021
Entertainment7 days ago
How Miss Africa Russia Representative From Nigeria Stormed Stage With Blood-stained Nigerian Flag (Video)
Health5 days ago
WHO: Women Of Childbearing Age Should Be Banned From Drinking Alcohol
National news7 days ago
Buhari To Visit Borno On Thursday
Entertainment5 days ago
Tope Alabi Begs Adeyinka Alaseyori for Forgiveness, Says “I Am Not A Perfect Person”
National news6 days ago
Sleepy Buhari Making Corruption Run Rampant In Nigeria – American Economist, Steve Hanke
Faith7 days ago
Our Daily Bread Devotional Message For 17th June 2021 – The Way of Faith
National news6 days ago
BREAKING: Fresh Xenophobic Protests In South Africa As Violent Groups Threaten Bloodshed On Nigerians, Others
Entertainment7 days ago
Sexual Assault: Baba Ijesha Denied Bail, Case Transferred To High Court