We Are What We Eat
by Philip Asselin
In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. – Hebrews 5:12-16, NIV
I came across this just recently. A church attender wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper stating that he had heard something like three thousand sermons, but he couldn’t remember any of them.
This started a real controversy in the ‘Letters to the Editor’ column. Much to the delight of the editor, it went on for weeks until someone wrote this excellent response: “I’ve been married for thirty years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals, but I do know this: They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today.”
This made me think about the difference between physical food and spiritual food. Both are needed to nourish us, but we could some have problems with physical food. We might choose to eat meals which look and taste nice but are not actually healthy. Or we could spend a lot of money on take-away food, because we are too lazy to cook, but it wouldn’t be good for us.
The same thing could apply to our spiritual food. We might prefer things which are quick and easy to digest, but avoid the stuff which challenges us, is good for our spirit, and makes us think for ourselves. When reading the Bible, we might avoid the more difficult and stretching books and seek the old familiar passages which are easy for us to understand. Then we might read it on autopilot, barely taking it in. Unlike physical food, we can live our lives without reading, praying or studying the Bible for days or weeks at a time, but it’s easy to become spiritually weak that way.
Someone has said that we are what we eat. If that’s true, then does it mean we are what we take on board from sermons, the Bible and quiet times with God? Does it also mean that if we deny ourselves these times, we become spiritually weak? Let’s feast on Him each and every day and become strong in the Lord!
Prayer: Dear Lord, thank You for the wonder and power of Your Word and presence. Thank You for men and women of God that spend so much time preparing sermons to bless and challenge us. Let us wholeheartedly embrace them and feast upon them. You welcome us to come and eat so that we may become strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Amen.
Thanks and God bless you for reading Seeds of the Kingdom Devotional 10 June 2021 By Ellel Ministries
Philip Asselin is on the associate ministry and teaching teams at Glyndley Manor. He, and his wife Gillian, attended the second Healing Retreat at Glyndley Manor in 1992, and were greatly helped. They have two grown-up children, a daughter living locally and a son in California. They have two young grandchildren and one step-granddaughter. Their desire is to see people set free to serve God.
Spread the Gospel today. Share this Daily Devotional Message to your loved Ones, friends and families. Thank you and God bless you abundantly.
- Tears And Tributes As Lagos Council Boss Is Laid To Rest June 23, 2021
- Nigerians Reacts As Petrol Cost Hits N256, Subsidy N150b June 23, 2021
- Herdsmen: ‘Shun Northern Cattle For Local Cows’ -Nollywood Legend, Pete Edochie Urges Igbo People June 23, 2021
- N7.1bn Fraud: Court Fixes Date For Orji Uzor Kalu’s Retrial June 23, 2021
- ‘I Am In Pains’ – Harrysong Cries Out After Finding Out A ‘Single Mum Of 2’ He Was Sending Money To Is Actually A Very Ugly Man June 23, 2021
- US Actress, Angelina Jolie Visits Burkina Faso Refugee Camp June 23, 2021
- Akwa Ibom Sets Up Committee To Investigate Expulsion Of Student Who Allegedly Insulted Governor On Facebook June 23, 2021
- Exposed! Police Inspector In Soup For Allegedly Gunrunning And Renting Riffles To Notorious Criminals In Cross River State June 23, 2021
- Insecurity: How University Of Jos Hired Local Hunters To Protect Campus And Hostels June 23, 2021
- “A Goat Is Better Than A Man Who Beats His Wife” – Apostle Suleman Blows Hot June 23, 2021
- “Your Well Don Too Deep” – Bobrisky Berates Ka3na After She Opened Up About Her S3xual Encounter With Praise June 23, 2021
- #BBNaijaReunion: See How Praise Reacted After Ka3na Accused Him Of ‘Lasting Five Seconds In Bed’ June 23, 2021
- #BBNaijaReunion: “He Lasted Only 5 seconds” – Ka3na Opens Up On Sexual Encounter With Praise (Video) June 23, 2021
- Drama As Police Protects Coca-Cola Truck After It Crushes 3 To Death In Ibadan June 23, 2021
- Umahi’s Commissioner Dies, Driver Unconscious, Governor Declares Holiday, Prayer June 23, 2021
- TREM Daily Devotional For 23rd June 2021 By Dr. Mike Okonkwo – You Have Been Discharged and Acquitted With No Appeal June 23, 2021
- Catholic Daily Mass Reading For 23rd June 2021 Online June 23, 2021
- True Worship Of God – Anglican Daily Fountain For 23rd June 2021 June 23, 2021
- Scripture Union Daily Guide For 23rd June 2021 – God’s Judgement Dramatized June 23, 2021
- Joseph Prince Devotional For 23rd June 2021 – You Are Accepted In The Beloved June 23, 2021
Entertainment7 days ago
How Miss Africa Russia Representative From Nigeria Stormed Stage With Blood-stained Nigerian Flag (Video)
Health5 days ago
WHO: Women Of Childbearing Age Should Be Banned From Drinking Alcohol
National news7 days ago
Buhari To Visit Borno On Thursday
Entertainment5 days ago
Tope Alabi Begs Adeyinka Alaseyori for Forgiveness, Says “I Am Not A Perfect Person”
National news6 days ago
Sleepy Buhari Making Corruption Run Rampant In Nigeria – American Economist, Steve Hanke
Faith7 days ago
Our Daily Bread Devotional Message For 17th June 2021 – The Way of Faith
National news6 days ago
BREAKING: Fresh Xenophobic Protests In South Africa As Violent Groups Threaten Bloodshed On Nigerians, Others
Metro5 days ago
Kwara: Angry Youths Allegedly Attack Fulani Herdsmen, Destroy Police Station