By Blossom Chigozie
Oh! how I love the juicy, milky, sweet and tart taste of this wonderful seasonal fruits and millions of Nigerians will agree with me on this fact. This is one of the fruits we have always craved for even before its season and when its season arrives, some individuals doesn’t care if its sour or sweet as long as it Udara/Agbalumo, its perfect, lols….
Agbalumo is a seasonal fruit, occurring around December through April. It’s English name is African Star Apple even though some still call it African Cherry but in Nigeria, its popularly known as Agbalumo in Yoruba, Udara in Igbo and Chiwo in Hausa. Udara (African Star Apple) fruit is very popular in West Africa, its botanical name is Chrysophyllum albidum.
As a lover of this special and healthy fruit, I long to eat as much as I can during its season, and also wish, I could still get to enjoy some when out of season…. if not for the awesome taste, but also for its nutritional benefits.
I practically decided to talk about this fruit because of what happened few days ago concerning my health, okay! I had a mouth sore and the pains were so excruciating but because of my love for Agbalumo, I couldn’t resist them, I pounced on them and devoured them. I wanted to stop because the acidic juice was causing me more pains but I managed to finish them, I woke up the next day, feeling better, NO PAIN, NO SORES since that day…
This occurrence prompted me to research on this tropical fruit and you will be amazed at what I discovered. I realized that the fact that the fruits are very vital to the human body, its barks, leaves and roots are awesome healers as the fruits too.
Below are the things you should know about these fruits;
1. Udara/Agbalumo (Star Apples) have high Vitamin C content, in fact more than the levels found in oranges or guava and this is very helpful in curing colds and preventing scurvy, helps protect the body against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling. It is also helpful in maintaining the healthiness of your gum, preventing sprue and gum disease. Per 100g of this fruit, you can get 25g of Vitamin C.
2. Star apples are a rich source of calcium, very helpful for strong bones and teeths with each serving providing up to 10% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA).
3. Star apples are also rich in iron (a mineral the body needs daily).
4. Studies have shown that a serving of Agbalumo contains about 67 calories; therefore, making it a good option for people who wants to watch their weight. Since the fruits are high in fiber, it reduces your appetite and prevents you from eating too much. So, to shade those unhealthy fats, start eating Agbalumo today! LOL…….
5. These fruits are natural anti-oxidant removing potential damaging oxidizing agents in a living body.
6. The sweet and sour taste acts as a natural remedy for common sicknesses like as toothache and throat sore, constipation and indigestion.
7. Herbally, the bark of Agbalumo tree is used to treat yellow fever and malaria, while the leaves contain cotyledons which are useful for treating wounds, stomach ache, and diarrhea.
8. For those with heart related issues, Udara have the chances of lowering cholesterol and blood sugar. Its advisable to snack on them daily.
9. Udara is very helpful in terms of digestion as it prevents constipation and bloating in human system.
10. You have no idea how 80% of pregnant women deals with these fruits on a daily basis! Their love for Udara is amazing! But nutritionally its vitality to the mother and child is awesome. The acidic taste help to prevent the urge to vomit and the above-mentioned benefits are also added to the mother and foetus.
These amazing fruits are out there and are very affordable….. Go out, get and snack on them! Health is Wealth….. Stay Safe!
- God’s Strength In You – Joyce Meyer Daily Devotional For 17th October 2021 October 17, 2021
- Catholic Daily Reading For Sunday 17th October 2021 Online October 17, 2021
- Be Bold About Him – Rhapsody of Realities Devotional For 17th October 2021 By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome October 17, 2021
- Your Gates Are Open – Streams of Joy Daily Devotional For 17th October 2021 By Pastor Jerry Eze October 17, 2021
- Deeper Life Search the Scripture For 17th October 2021 Lesson 1021 (Adult) October 17, 2021
- RCCG Sunday School TEACHERS Manual For 17th October 2021 October 17, 2021
- RCCG Sunday School STUDENTS Manual For 17th October 2021 – Lesson 7 October 17, 2021
- Today’s Open Heaven Devotional For 17th October 2021 – The Unchangeable Changer October 17, 2021
- Wealth Through Wisdom – Seeds of Destiny Daily Devotional 17 October 2021 – October 17, 2021
- Abuja Fans Surprise BBNaija’s Cross As They Welcome Him With Over 200 Power Bikes And Cars October 16, 2021
- FG Declares Public Holiday For Eid-ul-Mawlid Celebration October 16, 2021
- English Premier League Fixtures, Predictions, Results For 16 – 18 October 2021 October 16, 2021
- #EndSARS Anniversary: They Killed Innocent Souls And A Year Later, No One Has Been Punished For Those Heinous Crimes – Falz October 16, 2021
- Revealed! What Pastor Tunde Bakare Discussed With President Buhari During His Visit To Aso Villa October 16, 2021
- Kogi State Government Kicks, Demands Apology From EFCC Over frozen N20B October 16, 2021
- Bayelsa Youths Protests In Warrior Regalia As Oil Firm Allegedly Neglects Their Community (Photos) October 15, 2021
- Jubilation As Pasuma Welcomes First Grandchild (Photo) October 15, 2021
- Chiwetalu Agu Arrives AGN Office In Enugu After His Release Like A Hero (Video) October 15, 2021
- Pastor Tunde Bakare Visits Buhari In Aso Villa (Photos) October 15, 2021
- BBNaija S6: What Made Me Connect Easily With Whitemoney – Emmanuel Reveals October 15, 2021
Entertainment7 days ago
BBNaija S6: Ebuka Opens Up On Housemate Who Could Have Won BBNaija ‘Shine Ya Eye’ Edition
National news4 days ago
PHOTOS: HardCore Biafrans Defy Security Agents After Chiwetalu Agu’s Arrest, Wear IPOB Emblemed Materials
Entertainment7 days ago
BBNaija Angel Opens Up On The Male Housemate She Would Gladly Leave Her Boyfriend For
Faith6 days ago
Catholic Daily Mass Reading For 11th October 2021 Online
National news7 days ago
Why NUPENG Plans To Commence Strike Tomorow (Monday)
Entertainment4 days ago
How US Blogger, Gabby Petito Was Strangled To Death – Coroner Reports
Faith4 days ago
Lift Up Your Eyes – Streams of Joy Devotional For Wednesday 13th October 2021 By Pastor Jerry Eze
Faith6 days ago
The Problem Of Boredom – Billy Graham Daily Devotional For Monday 11th October 2021